Protein : Where You Least Expect It

I’ve had a love/hate relationship with meat for as long as I can remember. I’ve gone through spouts of vegetarianism throughout my childhood and into my early 20’s. I can eat a plate of prosciutto and then cry at the mention of a slaughterhouse. It’s been a roller-coaster relationship to say the least.

Today my diet is plant based with small portions of meat at most meals. I say meat instead of protein for a very important reason, meat is not the only way to get a significant amount of protein in your diet. In fact, there are other places in your diet to get more protein.

Quinoa 8 g per 1 cup serving

Greek Yogurt 23 g per 8 oz. serving

Oats Half a cup of raw oats contains 13 grams, with 303 calories

Eggs 6 g per 1 large egg

Whey Protein 24 g per scoop, on average

Broccoli 1 cup of chopped broccoli (96 grams) contains 3 grams of protein, with only 31 calories

Yellowfin Tuna 25 g per 3 oz. serving

Halibut 23 g per 3 oz. serving

Canned Anchovies 24 g per 3 oz. serving

Pumpkin Seeds 1 ounce (28 g) contains 5 grams of protein, with 125 calories

Navy beans 20 g per 1 cup serving

Lentils 13 g per 1/4 cup serving

Peanut Butter 8 g per 2 tbsp serving

Tofu 12 g per 3 oz. serving

Green Peas 7 g per 1 cup serving

xx Jill

Advertisements

9 Comments Add yours

1. I love this! It will be so helpful when trying to get variety in the foods I eat. Thanks for sharing 🙂

2. Danielle Pieroni says:

I struggle with protein so much! I only get it from chicken and eggs so thank you for this

3. Ash says:

I go back and forth with chicken, eggs, and seafood and being a vegan. This is helpful! Thank you!

4. kailtales says:

I had no idea broccoli had so much protein in it! Love all the alternatives you gave thank you!

5. Jessica says:

Great post ! As a vegan it was great to see the other alternatives to meat such as veggies and tofu on this list !

6. Lexie G says:

Yes protein!! Such good info, thanks so much for posting about this!

7. Protein is so hard, I’ve had a bit of a love hate relationship with meat too.

8. Sabrina Forscutt says:

Sometimes I forget that I can eat yogurt and peanut butter to get the protein I need!!!!

9. great reminder that meat isn’t the only protein source!